Computers are nothing new to the doctor's office. When I visit my doctor, he walks in with a tablet computer, pulls up my file and starts with the questions.
That is the way it has been for a few years now. Panasonic has joined that market with the introduction of the Toughbook-H1.
This ultra-rugged tablet computer is spec'd with the most recent technology. Starting with the exterior, the device has a 10.4-inch dual touch screen that will accept input from either a stylus or finger.
The H1 is designed to be easy to disinfect as well with a gapless LCD, sealed buttons and no exposed ports.
The case also sports a one-handed grip on the back, so you can wear it like a glove.
Moving to the internals, the H1 comes equipped with Intel's new Atom processor running at 1.86Ghz paired with 1 GB of RAM.
Storage comes in the form of an 80 GB hard disk drive that is shock-mounted. Connectivity should be no issue as Intel has supplied WiFi in all four flavors, 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n.
Not to mention that there is Bluetooth 2.0 and even an option for GPS and a 3G cell network connection.
Windows Vista Business operating system is installed, but a downgrade to Windows XP Tablet is available.
Two batteries are included with a six-hour run time each.
They are hot swappable for hours of continuous usage.
The H1 also has an optional barcode scanner, as well as integrated RFID reader, 2.0 megapixel auto-focus camera and fingerprint scanner.
Total weight is only 3.4 pounds with both batteries, and backhand strap.
With a list of specs like that, all that is missing is the kitchen sink.
Panasonic spent considerable resources developing this device, and it looks as if it has come up with a winner.
The Toughbook H1 is set to simplify and speed up clinical processes.
Does that mean I will actually see my doctor at 8:30 a.m. for an 8:30 a.m. appointment?
We can only hope.
* Bright 500-nit 10.4" dual touch display offering both touchscreen and tablet digitizer input
* MIL-STD-810F- and IP54-compliant
* Fully-rugged durability for health-care use with sealed fanless design and reminder system for improved sanitization
* 3.4-pound lightweight, ergonomic design with integrated carrying handle, hand strap and easel footing
* Intel® AtomTM Processor
* Hot-swappable twin batteries provide limitless hours of use
* 80GB shock-mounted hard drive
* Comes standard with built-in RFID reader, 2MP camera, full-resolution fingerprint reader, contactless smartcard reader, 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n WiFi and Bluetooth® 2.0
* Optional 2D barcode scanner, GobiTM 3G global mobile Internet (WWAN) and GPS
* Standard 3-year limited warranty
- Source: Panasonic.com
Story published Friday, December 5, 2008 ( Volume 3, Number 7 )